Part of going to Grandma’s meant she might make 7 Layer Cake. Since I was so young I have a vague idea that it appeared only at random times. I know my Dad loved it. I’ve made it myself a few times. It is best in thin, thin slices and you can freeze it well.
Step 1: 7 eggs
Separate eggs. Beat whites till peaked. Beat yolks till golden
Step 2: Batter
- 1 Cup Confection Sugar
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- Egg Whites
Beat sugar into yolks. Stir in flour and salt. Fold in egg whites.
Step 3: Baking
- 7 circles of wax paper
- Butter (ordinal recipe says to use mariner)
Butter the paper lavishly. If you think you’ve greased it enough, add more. Divide batter between circles. Place in cake tins and use a spatula to smooth out. Back two or three at a time at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Immediately remove wax paper when you take the cake out of the oven. Cook on a rack.
Step 4: Frosting
- 1/2 lb Sweet Chocolate (I’ve used unsweetened and semi sweet as well)
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 granulated sugar
- 1/2 lb butter or lard or coconut oil (original recipe called for Oleo which is margarine, all the other choices work fine)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
Melt chocolate with water in a double boiler over low heat. Beat eggs and sugar together. Stir egg mixture into chocolate. Leave on the stove for 15 min, stirring off and on. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Let cool slightly.
Step 5: Putting It Together
Ice each layer by putting a layer of icing on each layer, then going back and putting another layer of icing on and stack the layers. Place toothpicks through the cake to hold. Put in refrigerator to set. When firm, or layers no longer slip, ice over entire cake. Mark for slicing on top and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Add a tsp of orange oil to the batter for chocolate orange cake.
- Add 1/2 tsp of mint and a few drops of green food coloring to batter for chocolate mint.
- Use white chocolate instead of regular chocolate for the frosting
- Use white chocolate and caramelized sugar in the frosting instead of regular chocolate and granulated sugar.
- Don’t use chocolate at all. Use mashed fruit in the frosting instead.
- Destroy the world of everyone one you know by doing the following:
- Boil berries, sugar and water together until reduced to make a berry syrup. Strain.
- Follow the steps to make the cake like normal.
- When putting it together put a tbsp of syrup on each layer under the frosting. You may need to construct the cake using parchment paper wrapped around it to hold it together.
- After cake is firmed, remove parchment and frost the cake. Refrigerate or freeze for 24 hours.